Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an early 1930"s GE monitor top refridgerator. A new

Customer Question

Hello-- I have an early 1930"s GE monitor top refridgerator. A new motor with compressor was installed. In our mountain cabin now. It worked for awhile, then quit. A repairman said due to weather too cold. (cabin vacant at times). What shall I do? Thank you. Colleen
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The repairman is likely correct because if your temperatures in the cabin get down below freezing that will cause the compressor to stall and fail. The compressor would need to be replaced again if that is possible on an unit this old, and you would either need to shut the refrigerator down if you're going to be gone and it gets that cold inside the cabin, or you'll need to heat the cabin enough that it doesn't get below freezing inside.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.