Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore Model 790 gas range/oven. When I turn the

Customer Question

Hi! I have a Kenmore Model 790 gas range/oven. When I turn the oven on, it takes a while -- a minute or more to light. There is a strong-ish smell of unlit gas. The problem has been getting worse and worse over the last few months. How do I deal with this? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like your oven igniter is getting weak and will need to be replaced. The oven igniter must draw 3.2 amps for the oven gas valve to open and if it starts drawing below that, the oven will take longer and longer to light and more gas will expel causing a strong gas smell. just replace the igniter below the floor mounted to the back of the bake burner and you should be good to go again.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.