Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Ge profile combination oven/ microwave oven. Microwave said

Customer Question

ge profile combination oven/ microwave oven. Microwave said set clock.set the clock and the display went dead. no light in microwave when I opened the door. Came back after 2 min and display said set clock again. Set the clock again and this time the display came back. also microwave light came on when I opened the door. Microwave runs when I set it, but does not heat.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Tried resetting the breaker , the oven works, and the microwave does not heat. Sounds as if the microwave is working if I set it for 1 min, but no heating
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the microwave isn't heating but it sounds and looks like it's running, it means that your magnetron has overheated and failed. There is a thermal cut out on the microwave which cuts power to the entire microwave if the magnetron gets too hot and that is why the display went blank and nothing worked until the magnetron cooled down. Unfortunately at this point the magnetron would need to be replaced to resolve the issue which is about $150 typically for the part depending on the exact model number, and another $150 to replace the part.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.