Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I set my whirlpool smooth top oven to clean mode,it started

Customer Question

I set my whirlpool smooth cook top oven to clean mode,it started a loud banging like a manufacturing machine.
I investigated and when I push on the door it stops,but...so does the cleaning cycle.
It appears the door does not latch very closely, that's where the banging noise comes from.
I tried to start again and waited about 30 seconds and it continues to bang,loud.
I tried to cancel the cycle with no avail.
Now the oven door is locked and I cannot open it nor even use the oven.
PLEASE HELP !
IF you can reply and tell me what I have to do I'd appreciate it.
If you need to call,my phone number is. .. (###) ###-####
Thank you so much !
Sincerely, *****
February 1st,2016.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately your door latch is just failing and needs to be replaced. It's not moving all the way into the locked position to lock the door and now it won't unlock. Make sure the oven has cooled down to start or the latch will not unlock. If you have definitely waited for the unit to cool down then you have a failed door latch.

Try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset. When you turn the circuit breaker on go inside and push on the door and hold it for a minute or two in case it's rubbing on the door latch not letting it release. If that doesn't work, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly. If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly. It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.