John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Randy. I have a kitchnaid retractable downdraft which I

Customer Question

Hi Randy. I have a kitchnaid retractable downdraft which I cannot use because the fuse keeps blowing up. Any idea why?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
do you mean the house fuse in the fuse box/breaker box?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The model is KIRD801VSS. I meant the fuse in the unit. I replaced it twice. The reference of the fuse is UL 5 x20 T 800MA250V T520180. Thanks

ok is the up down motor jammed so that it can not turn?

That would be about the only reason the fuse would blow unless the motor is shorted to ground.

Have you tested the motor windings to chassis ground yet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not tested this and don't know how. Tx

just unplug the motor and with a Volt-Ohm meter test red to ground and the test Black to ground testing for resistance to ground you should not have any resistance to ground or the motor is shorted /BAD

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am at work right now. Will have to try it later. What position should I put the tester and where do I place the red and black? In the outlet? I don't understand "test red to ground and test black to ground". Where do I put the red and where do I put the black? Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also if it was shorted to ground will the fuse pop right away? In my case the unit goes up and down once. Once it is down it will not go back up again. Tx

The motor has one Red and one Black wire .

Set the meter to the ohm scale Ω and the touch the Red meter lead to the Red wire connection and the Black meter lead to bare metal (chassis ground) and see if you meter changes if not to the same to the Black motor lead.

And if it allows the motor to work once before it blows it may just be that the motor mechanism is jammed up making the motor work harder thus blowing the fuse.

So most definitely make sure the motor and the slide mechanism is free working .

Do you still need assistance on your question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not had a chance to check the electrical but it is most likely that the motor gets stuck. What do I need to do to get u credited? Tx.