Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I turned off the ice maker to clean the ice hopper and now

Customer Question

I turned off the ice maker to clean the ice hopper and now can't get the ice maker to work. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 10 months ago.

Hello, how long has the switch been turned on with the freezer door shut?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
24 hours

Does the mold have ice in it? The temp in the freezer is ok right?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Freezer temp is good. We cleaned the hopper because the ice had a mold taste. After a thorough cleaning of the hopper we only found traces of mold but none on the ice maker itself.

Do you have a volt meter and an insulated jumper wire?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no volt meter or jumper wire. But the ice maker mechanism does make periodic mechanical sounds as though itr was trying to cycle. At one point it did produce about four ice cubes.

Take the ice maker out and remove the front cover. Check the cam inside. The small plastic prong breaks all the time and the cam falls off causing this issue. I suspect you have a faulty ice make based on your complaint.

I work on the honor system here. I'm not credited for my work until you rate my answer positively using the star rating system at the top of your screen. Please remember to rate my answer positively before logging off.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The ice maker requires tools I don't have to remove it from the freezer. I'm going to have to defer to an onsite service technician. Thanks anyway.

It requires a 1/4 screw driver and a flat head. A 1/4 socket will work as well.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have those, I'll try that. Standby.

Remove the front cover with the flat head. On the bottom right is a 1/4 screw remove it. Push the tab on the bottom up or just pull the ice maker assembly forward. The harness has a qiuck connections. It's very straight forward.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think you're talking about a different model ice maker. There's no application for a slot head screwdriver on the front cover. The removal of the ice maker itself requires dismantling the frame that holds it. It must be dropped down, first to clear a tube on the right side, then an electronic device on the left side. This exceeds my mechanical ability. I'm done.

It's the same model. I work on these every week.

Thanks!