Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Could not find a way to reply from 12/24/15. Ice maker

Customer Question

Could not find a way to reply from 12/24/15. Ice maker switched to cleaning mode with blinking light. Replaced the control board. Worked great for 2 days, then back to red light blinking once per second. Control board was upgraded type. Info says one blink per sec means error with bin thermistor. Thermistor replaced. Worked well for a couple days, then switched to cleaning cycle with one blink per second. Resetting does not fix the problem. What next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Press the clean switch and see if the light blinks then if it blinks 2 times and a pause ,2 times and a pause that is the bin thermistor .

If it blinks 5 times and a pause ,5 times and a pause that is the Evaporator thermistor per the tech sheet on that model number.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Made ice today for a while. Then switched off and the red light was blinking once per sec. Punched off, then clean. After a few seconds the red light came on solid. Cleaning cycle seems to be running. What next

Let it go through the full clean cycle and after it has finished start the icemaker and see if it acts up or not.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Makes ice for a while, then shuts off and the red light blinks once per second

ok I looked at the service manual and it only has one fault for blinking once a second which is (If the failure is caused by a faulty bin thermistor, (not detected), the LED will remain flashing on & off in 1-second increments. )

So what is the part number of the bin thermistor that was replaced? and did you test the wiring to the control board from where the bin thermistor plugs into the console area?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Whirlpool thermistor(###) ###-#### ***** did the following functional check. Unplugged the bin thermistor. Punched clean cycle. The light blinked twice. Then come on steady. Plugged in the thermistor punched the clean cycle, the light came on steady. I took this to mean the wiring and circuitry were in tact. What next

do you have a volt-Ohm meter so we can ohm out the bin thermistor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tell me what to do

set you meter to ohms Ω at least the 20K range .

And ohm out the bin thermistor at room temperature 77 ° you should get a reading of 10k

Let me know what you get.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will do. But mid next week before I will be back home.

Ok no problem ! should be here .

I count my blessings every morning when my feet hit the floor!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My meter only goes to 10 k but it reads 0 on both the new and old thermistor
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Woody are you still there?

sorry I`m not online 24/7 and this is my third job of the day during the week days .

Ok so if your meter only goes to 10 K Ω then your meter should be able to read the thermistor at room temperature which should be 10kΩ

If your sure you have the meter set correctly and you are getting no resistance then I would say the thermistor is bad, or it is a issue with your meter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Meter tests fine. Both thermistors seemed to work 2-3 days with the new circuit board then fail. Burned out by the new board or just bad luck? I replaced one 5 years ago. I will order another one

ok if the resistance is not correct then I too would suspect that you either have a faulty control board or a voltage issue to the control board.

Also test the outlet to verify that it is polarized and grounded ,that will damage the control board.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Since the control board is up dated is there a thermistor up date also
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 months ago.

Not sure what you mean by a thermistor update!

The Thermistor is just a temperature sensor that the resistance changes with temperature change .

They are either good or bad ,there is no way to changes the internal resistance .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Rechecked my old meter. Something is wrong. I will get a new ohm meter and retest but going OOT so it will be a week or two before I get back to you

Sure just copy and paste the conversations URL
to your favorites and reply back when you can !!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
New meter. Thermistor ohms out at 12.0 K. What next?

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.

Ok and when you tested the bin thermistor was the bin full of ice?

If not could you estimate the temperature when you tested the thermistor?

And are you 100% sure that you replaced the bin thermistor or the evaporator thermistor

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No ice. Room temp about 70 degrees. The old thermistor also tested the same 11.9K. Yes these are bin thermistors

ok the resistance is correct on the bin thermistor

And I show the flashes should be either 2 flashes for the bin thermistor or 5 flashes for the Evaporator thermistor.

With a pause in between the numbers of flashes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did that earlier. 2flashes

ok and you are 100% sure that your testing the bin thermistor and not the evaporator thermistor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the bin thermistor. I don't know where the evaporator thermistor is

ok it is also comes out the bottom of the control board console and goes back under the evaporator plate.

Ok so you have replaced the thermistor and the electronic control board and you still get a bin thermistor error .

When your testing the bin thermistor are you just unplugging it from the bottom of the console and testing the thermistor on the plug in connection?

Or are you testing it all the way back on the control board connection?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just unplug and test the disconnected thermistor

ok let`s plug it in and then test the thermistor and it`s harness all the way back to the control board connection .

This will test the thermistor and its short harness from that plug to the control board ,you may have a issue with the harness , were it makes the control board think the thermistor is faulty .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I test with everything plugged in? Not sure how. Unit on or off. Or unplug the harness and test with thermistor plugged in?

unplug the connector on the control board and all connections back to the thermistor(one ) still plugged in

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Back with you tonite

no problem.

That small length of harness is the only thing that it could be we have replaced everything else with in the bin thermistor harness .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tested harness and thermistor. 12k. Wiggled both connectors. Reading is still 12k

ok so then that would be approx 70 degrees .

And with that reading I have to assume the bin was empty of ice and the unit was not running.

so you have had more then one new thermistor and even replaced the control board and you are still getting a bin thermistor error.

Something has to be wrong for this to happen .

I recommend that it is time for you to call in a servicer so they can go over it and see if they can find anything out of the ordinary.

I`m out of ideas we have tested the entire thermistor wiring from the control to the NEW thermister and replaced the control board.

This is one that your almost going to have to be there to follow the wiring inch by inch and go over the control board carefully to find the issue.