Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My name is ***** *****. Frigidaire refrigerator model

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. Frigidaire refrigerator model FRT18L4JWR, made 08-2014. Ice maker stopped working, I took it out , sort of a let it thaw thing. Just prior, it had not been filling, and control bail was in the ON position. Lifting then closing the bail did not cycle as it had always done, to fill, freeze, etc. When I put it back together, it filled, appears to have overfilled a bit, froze, then doe not eject the cubes into the tray. Any thoughts?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, there is a geared drive underneath the cover and I rotated it perhaps 3/4 turn before putting it back in. Have I got the cycle out of sequence now, as it appears to be?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. You can also make sure it's not frozen by disconnect the water line coming from the icemaker and going to the valve at the valve. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really? Since I asked about having rotated the gear and is it now out of sequence, you did not answer the question. Since there are only two parts, and it did call for water but not eject it; it seems obvious that it is likely not the valve, and therefore the unit. I personally think it should have lasted longer than 16 months, but that is not your fault. I just did not get the help I was looking for.