Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Washer will not fill with hot water, I have checked the

Customer Question

Washer will not fill with hot water, I have checked the hoses and screen, they are ok. And I have replaced the fill valve
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Cold water fills fine. Warm is some what restricted and the hot water doesn't fill at all, maybe a trickle
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Have you taken the hoses loose at the washer and filled into a bucket to confirm pressure at that point? Also, what is the brand and model number please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dave,
I have checked the hoses and screens. They are fine. Plenty of pressure when I tried filling a bucket. Also, I replaced the fill valve in the washer.
It is a GE gtw180ssjoww.
Thanks
Danny

Thanks Danny, there is never a time on this model that you will get straight hot. The control adds cold to save energy. When set on hot it will fill slower than warm and even a little slower than a cold fill. Is it much much slower on hot?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
To me the hot is like a trickle. Big difference between the cold filling and the hot filling

I don't see anything in the washer that should make a difference past the water valve. Most valves have a smaller outlet for hot than the cold, again for energy savings. It would be interesting to time how long it takes on hot and compare to the time for a cold fill. It may not be as bad as you think and there is not anything else I know that will increase the flow.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there another fill valve that can be used to replace the energy saver one?
Thanks again

The problem is that the electronics uses the thermistor to determine how much hot to let in so even if the valve had greater flow for hot it would just shut off sooner and mix more cold. What you and I would like to do is redesign the control but that is not possible.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there any way around this issue?

Not to my knowledge. We are trained that all we can do is let the washer fill on hot and check the water temperature. It should be hotter than the warm setting but will not be as hot as straight from the faucet. If you don't get a long fill error there is nothing we can do.