Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Acubake gas oven that will sometimes not

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Acubake gas oven that will sometimes not heat up it sounds like it is trying to fire and lite but it just stays at 100 degrees if we unplug it and plug back in or if we turn off and then on a few time it will usually work
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: if we unplug it and plug back in or if we turn off and then on a few time it will usually work
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have a model number located on a sticker around the front frame of the tub and can be seen if you open the door or remove the drawer below the door so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
wfg361LvQ 1

Perfect, thank you. This model has a very complex system with a DSI board (direct spark ignition board) which reads the gas valve coils and checks the resistance to make sure everything is good with the valve.

The first thing you want to do is remove the floor inside the oven and locate the spark tip. You may need to heat up the tip and bend it just slightly (careful not to crack the ceramic) so that the tip sparks just above one of the gas holes and is about 1/8" away from the burner at the tip. Over time the heat from the burner can cause the tip to warp a little and not be aligned properly so that when the metal heats up, it's no longer touching one of the flames coming from the burner which will tell the gas valve to stop sending gas for safety reasons.

Now if the spark tip has been correctly aligned and you still have problems, you have an issue with the gas valve or the DSI board. This board also serves other functions like sending out the actual spark to light all the burners as well as cuts out the gas if it doesn’t detect the flame has ignited. There are 3 terminals on the gas valve so you need to check the resistance from the top terminal to the middle terminal, and the middle terminal to the bottom terminal. The gas valve is located below the oven so remove the bottom drawer to see the valve against the back framing below the oven. You should get a reading of approximately 215 ohms. If you don’t get a reading within 10% of that number, you need to replace the valve because even though only one coil may be bad, the DSI board will stop all oven function as soon as it detects there is a problem with one of the coils.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.