Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

CFMV156DC C microwave hood combo After removing the control

Customer Question

CFMV156DC C microwave hood combo
After removing the control panel and putting it back in place .. Plugging back all the right wires where they belong, I tried to put on the light ( the one outside found at the bottom near grease filter) and they won't work. I hear the sound usually made when putting them on or off ( like a clic ) but they won't turn on .. The reason opened the control panel, was to change the bulb light found behind it , I changed it with a new one of 20 W instead of the one found inside that was 15 W only ...
Pls can u tell why my exterior light won't work anymore ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If you are hearing the click of the relay, the issue may be a faulty tirac on the board if you did not unplug the microwave before replacing the bulb. Was the microwave unplugged when you serviced the bulb?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is a faulty tirac?
No the microwave was not unplugged before i changed the INTERIOR bulb. The exterior bulb ( there is 2) I didn't touch them at all .. Inside bulb works perfectly , but the outside one don't
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

A triac is an electronic component that allows voltage to flow one way or the other, depending on how it is triggered. If it was not unplugged, when you installed the new bulb, you likely damaged the board. You always have to unplug the appliance when replacing bulbs in these with the new electronic technology. You can verify by measuring voltage at the bulb sockets, but it would be very unlikely and very coincidental to have both range top light bulbs fail at the same time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK so if it is unlikely for both bulbs to fail at the same time ... What else could be the problem ?Also Can u pls tell me which one of the wires clip that i unpluged is the one connecting the board to the bot***** *****ght ?
In total I unpluged 5 clips and one green wires that was connected to the metal .. I think it is a ground wire.. File attached
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The hood light relay is RY5, showing a brown and white wire to the hood lights. The main control board is likely going to need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok for the main controal board.But Would it make the sound of "clic " when i push on / off the light button, if the relay RY5 is broken?
Or if the control board is broken ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Sure, the relay may click. You can test the bulb sockets to see if they are getting voltage. If they are not, the board will need to be replaced.