Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

I have a Jennair Cooktop where the big burner doesn't help

Customer Question

I have a Jennair Cooktop where the big burner doesn't help work
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It has touchscreen controls and we cant turn the one burner on
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All the other burners work great. The model number is *****
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I reset the breaker the control surface for that burner will go on but the element wont heat up and 30 seconds later it will all kick off
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thankyou for using this service!

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your cooktop

Let's work together to find out what is wrong :)

You need to take the top glass off and access the connections to the burner and check for voltage to it. If you are getting voltage then the burner is bad, if you get voltage momentarily and then it goes off, you need to replace the computer board. Of you get no voltage, you need to replace the computer board.

To remove the glass top, pull the cooktop out of the counter and remove the screws around the perimeter bad and the glass will lift off and give you access to test the components.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have removed the glass top. The problem is that the touch screen control for that burner when pressed wont light up so it wont even go on which means there is no voltage there. The control for that burner will only work if the breaker is reset.

I would say you have a problem with the control board. It would make sense with the fact that it reactes when you reset it.

I would still check to see if you have voltage to the element as that would cause it to time out if it did not get hot. You should be able to just follow the heater ribbons on the burner to there respective connectors on the outside of the heater housing and then use your voltmeter to see if you are getting 220v to the terminals. If you do, then replace the burner. otherwise replace the control board.

click here for parts breakdown

The control appears wrong on the picture but if yous earch on the part number, it comes up on other sites.

We are on the honor system here. Please rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

If you feel I have provided superior service, a bonus is much appreciated , but never required. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out!

Don