Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The flame on my gas dryer won't stay on more than a few

Customer Question

Hi john, the flame on my gas dryer won't stay on more than a few seconds. I replaced the coils today to no avail
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So first, keep in mind that everything must be completely re-assembled when testing the heat cycle and that means the front panel and everything else. This is because the air is sucked through the burner cone, up into the dryer, down through the lint filter and out of the back of the dryer. If you don't have the front panel on, then air just gets sucked through the door opening and the flame goes straight up and trips the light limit thermostat.

Also, keep in mind that the amount of time the flame is supposed to stay on depends on how wet the clothes are and how many clothes you have inside. If there are no clothes inside, 15 seconds or so on and 1 minute off is about average or so.

Now if you re-assemble everything and it still only stays on for just a couple seconds, either your vent is clogged, or you have a bad control board and the control board would need to be replaced. Disconnect the vent from the back of the dryer and run a cycle with clothes inside to see if they dry better and if so you know you need to clean the vent through your house.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, I put the front panel back on, but not the door, does that make a difference? Also, I jumpe the wires in the burner thermostat and it stayed on, would that mean that the thermostat is bad?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

yes, that makes a difference. The door needs to be on or the air sucks through the door way instead of the burner. if you jump the burner thermostat and it's working now, it means the air isn't flowing properly which makes since because the door isn't installed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanking for your help Tyler, I ordered a thermostat that will be here Wednesday. I will gladly compensate u once it's all fixed. Thanks again.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

ok...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the dryer is all back together and I'm still having the same problem. I did jumper the wires going to the burner thermostat and the flame stayed on. Does that point to the problem?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the high limit thermostat by bypassed caused the flame to stay on, it means your vent is restricted. Again, understand that the flame does NOT stay on all the time. In fact it's off significantly more than it's on. It cycles on and off throughout a cycle. you would have to run an actual cycle to see if it's drying properly or not and if it's not then it means you have a clogged vent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tyler, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I cleaned the vent out and the clothes are only about 80% dry when the dryer shuts off. I am pretty confused at this point. What the hell can be causing that? Gas valve?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

disconnect the vent. If you still have problems then you have a bad control board because when you bypass the high limit thermostat you said it will keep heating which means the gas valves are good