Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have an all refrigerator Whirlpool EL88TR. There is an ice

Customer Question

Hello, I have an all refrigerator Whirlpool EL88TR.
There is an ice build up inside on the bottom half. I ve defrosted it several times.
It looks like there is a panel with 4 screws and like it comes off. But it has some king of rubber gasket around it so I am careful to not remove it yet.
Might the problem be with whats under there?
Thank you !
Susan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

You have a defrost drain line issue. The drain line is blocked with ice. You need to remove the items in the freezer and the back panel in the freezer to expose the drain pan and hole under the evaporator. Then defrost the ice and line with hot water and a turkey baster or steamer if you have one. Once the drain line is clear confirm it by pouring a 1/2 cup of water down the drain hole and see if the water drains. If so put it all back together and you should be good to go!.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks