John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a GE Cafe model refrigerator with the ice maker in

Customer Question

I have a GE Cafe model refrigerator with the ice maker in the door. The ice maker unit itself is working fine, but the compartment is not getting cold enough to freeze the water. I put a thermometer in the space and it would only get down to about 40 degrees. Next, I checked the 2 vents that blow cold air into the ice maker compartment. The bottom vent was blowing cold but nothing was coming out of the top vent.
What would cause this type of problem and is it something that I can fix?
Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? The model is located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Also, the first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. I'm currently at my office and the refrigerator is at my home. What's the best way to proceed with this issue? should I contact you at another time when I'm at home?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Just post back on this same question when you are with the unit and can get the information I requested. I'll respond if I'm online at that time or contact you as soon as I get the information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Will do.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

no problem