John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I had some one come to look at my Maytag washer, top load,

Customer Question

I had some one come to look at my Maytag washer, top load, and after changing the board it still wouldn't start he gave up. If I unplug the cord and let it set the machine will work after replugging.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have a model number for your washer so I can better assist you? And what part number did you replace exactly?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have it right now but it starts with M and the part was the main circuit board

OK please reply back when you can send me the model number and the part number that you replaced. There really isn't a way to help without both of those bits of information.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
okay

Good luck

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Model MVWC360AW0 Ser C32439960 Type 588-10 They took the part when they left but it is the control board behind the knobs

OK so you'd need to pull up an error code on this model to see what is wrong.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1/2 second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

f. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
okay I tried the test and it resulted in the machine start and held for three seconds and went off. I then went counter clockwise w.knob six times and nothing happened. I repeated the test and nothing displayed

You'll need to pull up the error code or else you'll need to call a technician out to pull up the error code for you. I'm not there so i can't see what you're doing incorrectly, but you'll need to follow my instructions exactly to pull up the error. You'll know you got into diagnostics because all the lights will turn on for a second after step "F."

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll try one more time

ok

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I must be a dummy. Can't get anything to display nor will the done light display. The machine started everytime when I did the test and turned off when I held the button for three seconds. I then did the six steps clounter clock wise and then proceeded to turn the control knob and nothing happened.

I have no idea what you mean by "six steps clounter clock wise" but you can keep trying to follow the steps as much as you want and if you pull up the error then let me know---otherwise you need to call a technician out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you tyler for your suggestions and I will try again and again to see if something happens and if so I will contact you again

good luck