Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I just washed a load of clothes, and it stayed on 1 min min

Customer Question

I just washed a load of clothes, and it stayed on 1 min for 30 min I can't open the door , it is locked it is a whirlpool duet hp..what do I do???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you could have a faulty motor control board which is what is supposed to advance the cycle, or the washer isn't draining properly. There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch. If you find nothing and the drain hose is clear, and you plug the washer back in and the washer won't unlock---then your motor control board mounted to the floor below the tub will need to be replaced.

In addition to that, you'll need to manually unlock the door if the drain isn't your issue. o unlock the door, remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The panel will then pull straight down and off. Once you remove this panel you can reach up behind the upper front panel and pull down on the small plastic pull tab attached to the bottom of the door lock assembly. This will manually unlock the door so you can open the door.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The washer drained out, and everything was fine, the problem is the door will not unlock
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK then just unlock the door as I advised before. To unlock the door, remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The panel will then pull straight down and off. Once you remove this panel you can reach up behind the upper front panel and pull down on the small plastic pull tab attached to the bottom of the door lock assembly. This will manually unlock the door so you can open the door.

Try to start a new cycle and if the washer won't start or the washer won't unlock at the end of the cycle again, the door latch will need to be replaced.