Sean F.
Sean F., Customer Service
Experience:  Appliance Tech at Appliance Repair
92140848

Advantium 120 is dead, no light, nothing Check circuit

Customer Question

Advantium 120 is dead, no light, nothing Check circuit breaker, seems to work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for using Just Answers. My name is***** come from a family background of appliance service and have over 20 yrs in the field. If you have been waiting, sorry, don't get discouraged. I am one of the techs on Just Answers and might have someone ahead of you. I WILL work as fast I can to analyze your problem and get to you. Please understand that I am not at your home looking at the appliance myself. You are my eyes & ears! I will work with you to figure out what is wrong with your appliance. I will give you my honest professional opinion of the problem. But be advised there are some issues that require special tools to analyze or repair the problem. Thank you for excepting me for you appliance issue. I'll be right with you and please don't forget to rate my service at completion..

**Hi. Do you happen to have a multi electrical meter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Was the unit being used when this happen?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Was it being used as a timer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Please check the plug that the microwave plugs into for power. If you have power to the plug go ahead unplug it. What needs to happen next is to remove the grill just above the door. There should be a 2-3 screw on top of the microwave holding the grill. After that is off you will need to remove the control panel. You will see one screw holding that panel, after it is removed you will need to lift up on the panel a little and then tilt it down towards you. After that you will look inside the microwave and at the top you will see a small board with a white or gray ceramic fuse. Remove it and check for continuity to see if it is good. let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is in one of my rentals, so had to get permission for access. Checked the electrical plug and do have electricity. Took the control panel off but could not see any the white or gray ceramic fuse. Is it in one of the connectors or on a board. Is in on the back of the control panel or inside with all the wires?
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Sorry about the delay. I'm sending you a image of the control board the fuse is on. Chances are you might already found it, since its been a couple hours since you posted last. If you did find the fuse and it is bad you will need to replace it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK ordered fuse and installed, but still does not work.
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Before you tried turning it on did everything light up with the new fuse in it? I'm taken it the old fuse was bad?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, even after replacing the fuse, nothing would light up, even the light under the unit. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Have you checked for power where the fuse snaps in?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no power
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

OK your going to need inspect that board that the fuse connect's to for burn marks or loose solder joints. If you cant find anything there trace back the wires to the cord to see if you can see a bad wire.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In talking to the tenant, they were using the oven, and it seemed to get hot. How about the thermal unit? I have to make an appointment every time to inspect and take the unit apart. I will take the unit off and take home to work on in my garage so easier to respond. Board was hard to dismantle with plastic connectors on the wall. I did not do a close inspection of board as
was hard to get out into the open with all wires attached. Had to take off the plastic grid in front of this section to see the board. Just got it out enough to replace the fuse, then plugged back in to see if work. Nothing would light up.
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Those little plastic connectors have a little tab on it to push in on to remove that control control.

Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Stop everything. There is another fuse on this thing. I forget this is the Advantium mic. It not a stander microwave.

Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Your going to to be looking for on that break down #4009 and #1626. Here is the diagram. Its not the greatest. Since You are starting to get close to the the high voltage capacitor your going to be very careful of discharge it . The capacitor is #1438. I will send you video how to discharge the capacitor.

Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUaDI_42iFU

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you have a video of where the second fuse is located. Do you have to take the unit down and go in the back?
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

I thought you forgot about me. LOL`

Did you get the link I sent the other day with the break down on where it is?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it shows me nothing as to how to get to it. You have a video?
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Sorry no video. You will have to pull the unit down and take it apart.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Bought another Advantium 120 to replace as could not have tenant wait any longer. so Old is sitting in my garage and have
not had time to look for the second fuse. Will contact you as soon as I find it.
Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

OK

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok Found both fuses. I have Pdf picture if you have e-mail I can send so you have for someone else. Had to take cover off to get to second fuse. Check both fuses and have conductivity to both. I ordered a new fuse to to make sure. I thought it might be the thermocouple, but tested for conductivity and get positive reading.(have picture to send, if you want) definitely have to take cover off to access. Circuit boards look ok with not burn spots. Any ideas what is next?
Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

Do you see a thermo fuse on the magnetron?

Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

Look at thermo fuse #1430 that's on the diagram. check it