Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

Pam, Have kenmore dishwasher that will not drain. I t the

Customer Question

Customer: Pam, Have kenmore dishwasher that will not drain. I hit the drain /cancel button and it sounds like it is trying to wash.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Dishes didn't appear to be too clean when putting away. Then realized there was some water at bottom of dishwasher, not real clear water. Pressed the drain/cancel button but does not drain but it does sound like it is washing again.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: kenmore 15639000
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, waiting for your response:) Appreciate the help!
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 10 months ago.

This unit has a wash motor and an auxiliary drain motor. The auxiliary drain motor is running not the wash motor.

You have a restriction or a faulty drain motor. The impeller on these break off. If the impeller is in place, you have a restriction somewhere in the drain line. The most common place for a restriction is where the hose connects under the sink to the disposal.

I work on the honor system here. I'm not credited for my work until you rate my answer positively using the star rating system at the top of your screen. Please remember to rate my answer positively before logging off.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how do i know if it is the impeller and is it difficult to get to? Is that a part I can buy at the store
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is this costing more money to ask another question?

No you only pay for this one question..Since it's related..

You have to take the pump off and visually check to make sure the impeller is attached to the motor shaft. The easiest thing to do is to remove the drain hose from under the sink place it in a bucket and press drain/cancel. If it drains, you know the problem is at the disposal. If it doesn't, the problem is further down the line..

Thanks!