Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

We have a whirlpool duet front load washer about 2-4 years

Customer Question

we have a whirlpool duet front load washer about 2-4 years old and it stopped and gave off a sign
e2 and maybe other info that i did not record . we unplugged it and started again and there was a grinding motion for 30 + secs and we shut it off the door is locked what do we do now?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. Two questions will help me with your problem. Is the door locked? Is the sound coming from down near the floor in the center of the washer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
door is locked the sound is probably from the bottom
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do not want to talk by phone if extra charge of $18 thanks anyway

Okay, if the control saw the washer trying to fill for a long period of time without seeing the pressure switch showing water filling up it keeps the door locked and turns on the pump for 8 to 10 minutes. Plug it back in and let it run and the door will unlock and the control will reset.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dave...are u there?

Yes

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is it safe or harmful to the washer to allow it to keep on sound like grinding?

No, there is always some water in the pump and that keeps the seals cool.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how long should i let it keep up the grinding sound before it will drain and the door become unlocked or I should give up and call repairman? what if the drain is plugged up? what does E@ mean?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
E2

Does it still say E2? How long has it been running? I would need the model number to give specific information how to manually unlock the door and check the code. I will do what I can without the number.

I checked and some models list E2 as no water seen entering washer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know the model number nor where it is given on the machine. E2 and something else was on the washer dial when I discovered that it was stopped but when I started cutting it off and on and trying different programs, that disappeared

Has it been running at least 12 minutes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no

Okay, I think we will be okay in a while. Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i started it up again and it made the grinding sound for approximately 45 seconds then quit.

Is the door unlocked and will it program? Sometimes you need to unplug it again for a minute and try again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have unplugged it for 10-15 minutes before calling you then again while we were chatting then tried again and that is when the grinding noise started again for about 45 secs then it turned off with door still locked etc.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i wish i knew where i could find the model number

Okay, is there a separate panel all across the bottom below the door? If so there are 3 screws down near the floor and the bottom of the front comes off. Then there is a ring hanging down below the latch on the right side that you can pull to manually unlock the door. Sometimes unlocking the door a few times resets the control.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i am worried that there may be water in the tub and do not want to flood the floor

Taking off the front panel won't interrupt any seals. If you see water through the glass door you would want to wait until you pull off the front panel so you can check the pump. If the washer can't drain because of a clog you will need to tip the washer back and check the pump.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks i give up and will call serviceman locally

Ok, if te pump is the problem it can cause this problem too but the code is usually different. Best wishes.

Has the service tech taken care of your washer?