Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a problem with a Dacor ETT304-1 glass top range. It

Customer Question

I have a problem with a Dacor ETT304-1 glass top range. It goes into the child lock mode all by itself. Is it the power board or touch board. Need to know for sure as they are both $$$
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 10 months ago.

The problem is gonna be the touch board, the lock control key is probably half stuck and is making contact on occasion by itself:

Touch Board

Part #: 72516

PLEASE take into consideration we are on the honor system for our time, I Kindly ask you to rate my service BEFORE YOU LEAVE TODAY by clicking 3 or better on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page or wherever the 5 star rating system is located on your page (sometimes it's hard to find but it's there).

Also be aware that this rating is for the quality of my response, not a rating for the overall experience you have had on this site.

Rating me will not in any way affect the amount you agreed to pay for the question. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

Before leaving a negative rating please discuss it with me first so I can have a chance to remedy the issue. Thank You!

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I thought so but there are obviously no "keys" as it is just a glass top. I have not taken it apart yet but can one of the "sense" pads go bad and cause the same thing? Also can you give me any tips to reinstall a new one? I know I need the adhesive as well.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello?

will be right with you I am double checking info on this unit at the manufacturer site , give me just a few more minutes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great thanks thought we got disconnected

Ok before you bother ordering that board, according to dacor the most common problem is :

check for a foreign material between the Touch Pad and the Contact Board. Examples of foreign material include grease, cooking residue, moisture, or residue from cleaning agents. Circuit board cleaner or equivalent (available from electronic supply stores) should be used to clean the keypad assembly.

If you find that the touch pad has moisture present replace it.

I would definitely look at that first because the touch pad is a 16.00 part:

listed as #3 here - click here

they state that in most cases that is the issue not the touch board.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you I'll do that and let you know

sounds good thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I took it apart. The touch board part no 72518 is firmly glued to the glass top. The only way to clean it would be to rip it off and I worry about damaging it as the glue looks really strong. However it looks clean inside no moisture, etc. should I proceed with ripping off that board?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can send you a pic

I have never actually personally repaired that model before I could not find the repair method in the service manual for that unit, so to help you get this done properly I am going to opt out of the question so another tech on the site that has hands on experience with this model can help you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is even more odd us that the item #3 on the parts diagram is stated to be "touch pad adhesive". No where on the parts diagram which I have a copy of does it mention the actual keypad circuit board part no 72518 which is what is glued onto the glass top!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It appears that 72518 is known as an upper touch board. It is where the actual sense pads are located in the side that's glued to the glass from the back side, it's just a bare circuit board with a connector where it connects to the 72516 lower touch board
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not sure if it's that upper or lower touch board now. There's really no circuitry on the upper board to go wrong unless it's one of the pads facing the glass. Would really like know you folks thoughts before I spend $$$ on likely non- refundable circuit boards
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My 72518 looks really good (from the back side of course) no dirt around it or moisture I really don't see how something could get through that bonding. This thing is so firmly bonded !
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still no response. Idea ideas?? Will try to attach photod
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here is photo of upper touch board firmly bonded to the glass top
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If it will unlo9ck and work fine but actuates by itself, let's try something. Use a hair dryer to heat the touch board until quite warm and all of the area around it. Keep it warm for several minutes. Also, use alcohol to clean the area of the buttons on the glass. That uses a capacitive touch and can have issues with grease and other "gunk" on the glass. Does the behavior change at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Kelly thank you so much for responding. I am just getting your message at 9:30 tonight. I was actually thinking of the hair dryer trick to try and induce a worse failure and isolate it from there. I will have to do this tommorrow as I am off work. It's not going to be easy since I will have to heat that upper board that's glued to to glass while I have the glass top off and then quickly try to remate that connector (which is soldered to the board) to the lower board(the one with all the circuitry on it) before it cools off! I think I can pull it off though with some careful planning. My wife is a clean freak so I can tell you for sure that the glass is spotless but the alcohol will take away a possible minute cleaner residue . I will try and let you know . Thanks again and please respond as soon as possible tommorrow as my wife is really getting frustrated with this thing torn apart in the middle of the kitchen. Regards, leo
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok Kelly. I did all that . Glass is spotless, heated up the upperboard and same thing. Goes into lock mode by itself . Sometimes you can unlock it and sometimes you can't. . When you can unlock the burner controls seem to work but it just goes into lock mode when it feels like it and that's it. The only thing I can think of to try and isolate it to the right board would be if I could ohm out that upper board at that connector but I would need a schematic . I guess the only option that I can think of is to order that lower board with all the circuitry and hope for the best. What do you think?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

At this point, I would agree. The site below will allow you to return the board if it fails to correct the issue, even after installing, for up to a year! That will negate all risk of being out for parts you may not need!

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seriously? Even on an electrical part?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Yep! They have an amazing return policy!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great I'll order tonight thanks kelly
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

You bet, thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ordered the part Kelly from repairclinic. I'll keep you posted.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Sounds good, thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Back ordered.!! Will ship by 2/17. Guess I'll have to wait. I'll keep you posted.