bonzaco
bonzaco,
Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic
26760916

Our 20 year old Whirlpool Gold Fridge has been failing to

Customer Question

Our 20 year old Whirlpool Gold Fridge has been failing to restart itself on it's cooling cycle. I figured out that tapping hard on the area beside the setting dials, on the top face plate inside the refrigerator side of the unit, would start the cooling cycle again. The interior light would then brighten a bit as the fridge restarted.
I assume that some switching component needs to be changed or repaired. Thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

Could you let me have the full model number please - Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the info you asked for:
Whirlpool Gold Side by Side Refriderator
Model# *****
Serial # *****
Mfg Date 06 99 purchased in Sarnia, Ontario Canada
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Refridgerator"
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK have you got any electrical experience at all? It sounds like you have a problem with your electro/mechanical thermostat are you happy to try and change it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have electrical experience and I can change it. I kind of thought it might be an actual part I believe it will be behind that panel at the top of the fridge where the switches are for controlling thermostat am I right about that?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

Yes, what I would do initially is to short out the two wires on the thermostat that feed the power to the compressor. Then run it for a couple of hours to check that the compressor is OK. If so replace the thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounds good are there any tricks to taking the fridge thermostat switch plate off? I can't see any screws does it pop off or is it snap clips of some sort? Any website that shows an actual breakdown of removing it that you know of or a diagram?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

Looks like it just flicks off -- http://www.appliancepartspros.com/control-parts-for-whirlpool-gd22dkxfw01.html