John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a GE dishwasher, model GDF510PSJ0SS, and it has a

Customer Question

I have a GE dishwasher, model GDF510PSJ0SS, and it has a very loud, high frequency, noise when the dishwasher is running. The noise will stop when the dishwasher is draining but it will start again when the dishwasher is washing. Is this a normal sound? It is brand new but came with the newly purchased house.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thankyou for using this service!

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your DW

Let's work together to find out what is wrong :)

I would say that something has gotten down inside the pump housing and is hitting the pump impeller causing the whining sound.

You can try removing filter housing located on the bottom of the machine under the wash arm. Hopefully you can see something stuck down in the filter sump. If you can't find anything, you will need to pull the DW out from the cabinet and pull the motor pump assembly and look inside to see what is there.

If the machine is brand new as you say, it should be un the GE warranty for repair.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.