John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a leak in the bottom of my frigidaire dishwasher

Customer Question

Customer: I have a leak in the bottom of my frigidaire dishwasher door. I did some research and replaced the bottom door seal. I also installed the splash kit tabs. It's still leaking. Somehow water is still splashing/surging and getting under the seal. Any advice?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is***** other details do you want?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
How long has this unit been in this location were it is now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
fdb4315lfs2.
It's been installed and in use for 6-8 years I think.

Thank you !

Have you made sure that none of the holes in the spray arms have debris in them that can shoot water sideways instead of up ?

and have you ever run a dishwasher cleaner though the unit?

and after the unit fills with water open the door is the water level under the bottom rack touching the black heating element?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not done either of those things.

ok lets check the holes in the spray arms first> let me know if you see anything in any of the holes in the spray arms

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't see anything in or obstructing the holes in the top of the spray arm.
The arm looks a little "beat up" - scrapes, etc. - but nothing that appears to be affecting the holes on the top.
Looking at the underside of the wash arm there is a hole that's not supposed to be there in one of the downward protruding arms. I'm not sure if water could or would actually spray out of that hole and cause a problem.

now you are looking at all three spray arms correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. I only looked at the bottom spray arm, thinking it was the only one that could cause water to get under the bottom door seal. I have watched the diswasher run with the door cover removed, and I can see that the water is coming from the bottom of the door, under or around the bottom seal.
I'll go ahead and look at the other spray arms too.

ok and on the center spray arm make sure when the top rack is pushed all the way in that the middle spray arm manifold is plugging into the rear vertical manifold on the rear interior panel of the dishwasher , if it is not in place it makes the water arch right at the bottom of the door

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
all of the spray arm holes look fine on the middle and upper arms.
The middle spray arm manifold doesn't really "plug" into the hole in the back of the tub (rear vertical manifold). It has a rubber/plastic mouth that appears to push all of the way up to the rear hole. I'm not sure how well it covers the hole. If I move the top rack around, I can expose part of the rear hol - i.e. the middle spray manifold can drop partially "below" the hole, allowing the top part of the whole to be exposed. It looks like this could happen if the top rack was full and heavy enough in the back to weigh the rack down and cause it to drop down from where it should align with the rear hole. Hope that makes sense.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If the middle arm manifold misalignment is allowing water to spray into the tub, it looks like it would spray up (since the top of the rear manifold is what is potentially exposed). I don't think that would cause water to spray down toward the bottom of the tub and door seal.... Just my thoughts.

#24 should plug right into #61 when the top rack is pushed back all the way

sorry 24A

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The rear manifold hole is only about 3/4" in diameter. The manifold has an oval rubber/plastic mouth, about 2"x3" that covers the hole, kind of like a plunger goes over a toilet drain. The manifold does not plug into the rear hole, it only covers it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello?