John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher. It is Superba Model KDS-16,

Customer Question

I have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher. It is Superba Model KDS-16, Spec 17048.
Problem: It appears to respond to all settings except the cavity never empties. It always finishes a complete wash cycle leaving a good inch of water in the tub. This is true whether the shut-off valve on the water intake line is open or closed. Now this is strange. One would think that is it weren't draining and the input line were open that subsequent washs would cause a flood. So I think the dishes are being washed by the stagnant water in the tub and no water is entering or leaving no matter how the external input valve is set.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is Sean.

Do you happen to have a air gap that is about 2 inch tall on your sink?

Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

If you do have a air gap it could be clogged and not allowing your dishwasher to drain properly. It is a easy fix.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by an air gap. My kitchen sink is stainless steel. It's an integral unit with electric stove, sink and counter included. The sink is not a separate unit. The washer sits under the counter portion next to the sink. The sink is formed into the stainless steel
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

If you look under your sink you should see a white drain hose that is coming from your dishwasher, Where does that hose hook up to under the sink?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is a wood wall between dishwasher and cabinet under the sink. A copper tube pierces this wall from dishwasher to cabinet under sink. The copper tube rises about 18 inches then clamps to a rubber tubing which goes to sink drain. A could decouple the rubber tubing from the sink drain and feed it into a bucket and observe if it discharges any water from the dishwasher when I energize the dishwasher. If no water come out I guess it could mean either of two things, the line is clogged or there must be a discharge pump and it is not operating. I'm suspecting it to be the latter, which then raises the question of repair, I doubt there is an orderable replacement. Any ides on how to proceed at that point?
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Can you hear a pump running when you put it into drain?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Too much noise to tell. I use the Cancel/Drain setting. The inside of the dishwasher get all wet with water dripping from the dish racks. The residual water in the washer get all frothy, obviously being sloshed around.
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Will you please give me the full model number that is on the dishwasher? You will find it when you open the door. It will ether be on the side of the door or on the cabinet where the door closes.

Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Never mind on the model number. KDS-16 is the model number you gave. Sorry don't see many model numbers that short now days most are longer now days. This is a oldie but a goodie.

Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

This unit don't have a drain pump it only has a drain solenoid. Do you happen to have a electrical multi meter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do have a multimeter. Yes
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

You are going to need to remove the bottom kick plate off, Where we can get to the solenoid.

Here is a attachment what the part we are looking for. The old one might not look just like this one.

Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

Unplug the dishwasher or turn the power off. When you get to the solenoid unplug the wires going to the solenoid and test for continuity at the solenoid. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry for the hiatus. Got diverted into some pressing problems. Will get back in a day or so.
Expert:  Sean F. replied 10 months ago.

No problem.