Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore Elite Double door refrigerator model Num

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite Double door refrigerator model Num 795.77573600 The Left door the shows you how to change from ice to water and the settings instead of showing that it says Er If it won't let me change anything. I turned off the Circuit breaker it came back on to normal and 5 mins later it said the same thing Please Help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

So first, this refrigerator is made by LG and sold under the Kenmore name in Sears. This is important because I don't want you to be confused by the video that I link to you later.

Error "Er IF" means that your icemaker fan motor isn't spinning properly. This fan motor is located behind the back wall inside the freezer in the upper left corner. Now normally just frost or ice build up has accumulated inside the fan housing causing this issue. You can generally just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours and let everything thaw out and it will function normally afterwards,

For a more immediate solution, you would need to unplug the refrigerator, remove everything out of the freezer section including the drawer and icemaker (if you have one inside the freezer) and remove the back panel inside the freezer to expose the fan motor, then use a hair dryer to thaw the fan out quicker.

If for some reason just thawing the fan motor out doesn't resolve the issue, the icemaker fan motor would need to be replaced because it's failing. Below is a video on how to remove the back panel if that's the way you want to go or need to replace the icemaker fan motor. Ignore the fan they are replacing, that is not the same fan you're interested in. The fan you are looking at is in the upper back left corner.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?