Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My whirlpool gas stove model #SF315PEGQ and the oven will

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** my whirlpool gas stove model #SF315PEGQ and the oven will not light. noticed the pilot was off but smell no natural gas, so i lit pilot. i also blew out the part that is not lighting thinking maybe there was a blockage. still the part beside the other piece glows red hot but does not ignite the part that actually heats oven
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: stove top works fine. the pilot is now lit and when you turn on the part in bottom gets glowing red but does not cause the main gas part to light now.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

If you see the igniter glowing but the oven won't turn on, it means that your oven igniter is getting weak and needs to be replaced. The oven igniter must draw 3.2 amps or the oven gas safety valve won't open up to allow gas into the burner for safety reasons. It doesn't matter if the igniter glows or not, it needs to draw a certain amount of amps and igniters typically last about 6-8 years before they get too weak to open the valve. It's general maintenance for gas ovens but the igniter will need to be replaced to resolve the issue I'm sorry to say.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.