Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a wirlpool gold sieres Model # WRF989SDAM00 and I

Customer Question

I have a wirlpool gold sieres Model # ***** and I cannot seem to get the freezer below 24deg. I checked everything!!!!
Submitted: 10 months ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

The 24 degrees is that what is on the display or the actual temperature in the freezer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Actual temp. The set point is 0

ok the control is set for 0 and the actual temperature is 24

If you have removed the evaporator covers an actually looked at the Evaporator coils and they are not frosted and both fans are running .

You need to pull the unit out away from the wall .get behind the unit and remove the lower inspection cover.

And see if the Condenser fan is running ,and feel up the black domed compressor is it running and what is it`s temperature is the compressor warm ,hot or cold and is it vibrating as if it is running?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have verified cond fan is running and the evaporator fan running. I did not touch the compressor for temp. I just assumed it was running because my fridge has held 37 deg for 5 days now. I will verify the temp and get back to you.

ok no problem!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The out side compressor casing temp is 103 deg

ok and can you feel it vibrating as if it is running?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok so both Freezer and Fresh food Evaporators have no frost on them ,and their Evaporator fan motors are running.

And the Condenser fan and compressor are also running .

Which means you only have a sealed refrigeration issue , where it may have a leak in the system for some type of a restriction.

A restriction is very unlikely with the compressor temps being so low

How old is the unit? is it still in warranty?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I purchased it in 2013 so it is out of warranty. The part that I'm confused with is the compressor still cycles on and off every 5-10 min as if there is no issue. Do you think it could be a bad temp sensor and the freezer believes it is 0 deg?

if the compressor is running and you have no frost on the Evaporator coils no refrigerant is flowing .

I suspect the compressor is cycling off on its internal thermal overload.

and once it cools back down it cycles on again ,and off once it gets hot again and so on!

Depending upon where the refrigerant leak it with parts and labor you could be looking at over $800. on parts and labor with it being out of warranty

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Than why has my refrigerator holding its set point with no problem? Shouldn't the compress/ leak affect it also since it's one refrigerant system?

you never said the fresh food section was not effected!

You only said that it had no frost on it!

so it is holding what temperature?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I didYes I have verified cond fan is running and the evaporator fan running. I did not touch the compressor for temp. I just assumed it was running because my fridge has held 37 deg for 5 days now. I will verify the temp and get back to you.

ok if you did not touch the compressor for temp where did the ( The out side compressor casing temp is 103 deg ) come from?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I got home I used my laser gun. That's why there was a delay in my answer.

ok so then did you touch the compressor to feel it vibrating? you did answer yes it was.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was

ok so lets go back .

The compressor is running but you have no frost on the fresh food section Evaporator coil correct?

if the coil has no frost on it I see no way it could be cooling!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't recall saying there was no frost. Now I didn't notice any. But there definitely isn't any ice on the coil giving me the sign of a low evaporator pressure. So where is this going with this? I recall asking a question regarding the freezer temp sensor.

In your very first post ((Clean the condenser checked the fans and the compressor all are running. I checked both evaporator coils and there was no ice.)) I can only go by what you tell me.

so can you verify for me that the fresh food evaporator coil has frost or no frost for me?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry I thought ice and frost were different? Ice meaning low refrigerant and frost meaning bad defrost.

ok if the coil has refrigerant running through it it will have frost on it totally frosted over would be a defrost issue .

And as far as I know frost is ice!

I`m just going to pt out so that some one else can assist you !

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there is some frost on the coil not a lot though.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks I'm formilar with larger refrigerant systems where frost isn't bad but ice is.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for whatever it was you helped me with? I now know frost is ice.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was trying to make it easy and quick since I am a chiller mechanic. And have refrigeration knowledge.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I get a refund since I'm not pleased with my answer?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the freezer is not getting below 24* F, even at the bottom, you have a sealed system issue, likely a leak. That is usually easily diagnosed by looking at the evaporator coil. If only one small area is heavily frosted, diagnosis is confirmed. I suspect this is what you were describing. The sealed system may have an extended 5 year warranty, depending on the serial number. If you can post that, I can check that for you. And, you are correct, frost could be considered ice! ;-)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
S/N K23310519 From my experience with refrigeration these system have such a low charge. I would have thought that my fridge should have been affected 3 weeks ago and the temp in my freezer would have climed higher.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

If a leak is small, it can stop leaking once the pressure has been reduced enough (from losing a charge) and maintain poor but cool temperatures. The only way to diagnose will be to solder a valve on the suction side and test the pressure. It should be about 0 PSI when working properly. If it is in a vacuum at all, there is a low refrigerant level.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What psi should it run at? Did you check my S/N.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

It should be about 0 PSI when working properly. If it is in a vacuum at all, there is a low refrigerant level.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that would put the refrigerant around -15 deg? I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions I'm not formilar with appliance refrigeration.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Correct, 0-1 PSI is normal operating pressure, so about -13* F evaporator temperature.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did you look up my S/N?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

I did and it is only 12 months across the board, see the attached page.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry just thought of another question. Why does my compressor cycle off if my freezer is 25deg from set point? If I were low on refrigerant shouldn't the compressor run nonstop?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

It should run until it goes into a defrost cycle. How long does it run before it shuts off? It may cycle off on the thermal overload, too. Can you confirm that the evaporator only had a partial frost pattern?