John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a VCBB363RSS with bottom freezer that doesnt defrost

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I have a VCBB363RSS with bottom freezer that doesnt defrost and has to be manually defrosted every 2 weeks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ice builds up, and have to shut off power and take a hair dryer to melt the ice. When it is all melted, turning it back on gives us another 2 weeks of cool air in the fridge. Otherwise the fridge starts heating up
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Any idea what parts I should replace?
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

There are three parts involved with the defrost circuitry; the heater element, the defrost thermostat, which is mounted on the heat element, and the defrost timer motor. The element and the thermostat can be checked for continuity, using the ohm meter. If these components check out, replace the timer motor assembly.

My parts sources aren't responding to your model number. I may be able to help you find parts, if you send me the brand name.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a Viking Model: VCBB363RSS
SERIAL: 020306H0000005832
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

According to information on the Viking website, your model has been discontinued, which accounts for the lack of parts information on the internet. The only information I can give you is a contact phone number. Call(###) ###-#### ***** press 1.