Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I was just wondering would my 1959 fridge contain asbestos?

Customer Question

Customer: I was just wondering would my 1959 fridge contain asbestos?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Know problem, as far as I know it was made in 1959. The insulation they used seems to the glass fiber.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait for 20 mins or so
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The insulation in your refrigerator does not contain asbestos. It was called "glass wool", other units used "mineral wool" or even ground up cardboard, but asbestos was typically only used for appliances with higher temperature situations like an oven on older units.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.