Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I put a small sheet metal screw in back of fridge maker line

Customer Question

I put a small sheet metal screw in back of fridge for ice maker line and heard a rush of air for 20 seconds
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately that wasn't air, that was your coolant line. you refrigerator will not cool anymore so the first thing you need to do is find another place to move the food. There is a JB weld type product that can patch some holes for refrigeration systems so hopefully the hole isn't big enough that the line can't be patched. Either way, you'll need a technician to try to patch the hole in the cooling line and then recharge the system with freon. I'm very sorry but this simple mistake is quite a big issue and if the hole can be patched you'll be looking at about $450 or so for the repair. If it can't be patched then the refrigerator may not even be repairable.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My refrigerator works fine. So it can't be a coolant line

Not true. It's a dual evaporator system. You lost the coolant out of one of the cooling systems but I no way of knowing which one.