Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

The fan on the subzero refrigerator is constantly running.

Customer Question

The fan on the subzero refrigerator is constantly running. Can someone help me troubleshoot? It should stop once it reaches the right temp.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

The evaporator fan does not stop once it reaches temp that fan runs all the time. Are you talking about the inside fan or the top fan?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The top fan

Is the compressor turning off? The only thing that controls that is the refrigerator mechanical control.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It seems like the freezer compressor (the left one) is always running. Even though the freezer is plenty cold. I have it set on 3. What could it be? Bad freezer thermostat?

Yes if the freezer control is not turning off that fan will run along with the compressor non stop. Sounds like a bad control that is stuck closed for sure!

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks. I'll check that out. If the problem is the thermostat control, what is the name of the part(s) to replace?

Ok let me double check one thing, can you give me the serial, on select 550 models they had a continuous run condenser fan, yours could be one of them

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll attach a photo with the number... Do you see it?

OK then yes that fan runs all the time see wiring diagram attached

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok so my last question is how do I update this so it runs only when necessary. Can I upgrade to the newer fan control?

Not on that one you can not you would have to do some rewiring to make that operate only when the compressors are on.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Isn't mine made after the constantly running version? My serial number is ***** than all of these listed for the 550. See this link. http://www.subzero-wolf.com/assistance/answers/condenser-fan-motor-operation

Is the fan ever running by itself without either compressor running? Also you should see the wiring diagram for your unit up by the compressor to verify the wiring to see it as well or send me a pick of it and I will tell you.