Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Last week, I did a thorough job of defrosting my Amana

Customer Question

Last week, I did a thorough job of defrosting my Amana ESR14C P73953-6W refrigerator and since have been not been able to get the refrigerator temperature below 50F. Overnight a glass of water only chills to 50F. The freezer tends to run between 0-20F. It doesn't seem to matter where the humidity switch is set. I am not sure if the problem started with the defrosting or was already present and I just did not notice it.
The door gasket seems intact. The compressor seems to cycle on and off in a normal manner. I have tried various settings of the temperature control knob without apparently affecting the temperature of the refrigerator although I have not done extensive testing to verify this fact. The condenser/pre-cooler seems reasonably clean with the plastic drain pan lying on it.
My questions:
Is 50F the best that I can achieve with this refrigerator?
Does this sound like a temperature controller problem to you?
How is the thermostat capillary tube connected to the evaporator assembly or held in place behind the evaporator?
Can the evaporator assembly be rotated out of the way to gain access to where the temperature control tube terminates after removing the 7 screws in the evaporator assembly or will I break the freon lines?
Before replacing the temperature control, should I temporarily short out the temperature control to see if I can drive the temperature lower. As it is, the compressor does not stay on more than a couple of minutes and doesn't seem to be working very hard.
To replace the temperature control, I need part number C3615015 according to Sears and C3615020 according to another parts supplier. I can buy a C3615018 or a C3615024 on eBay. No new units are available. Do you have any idea if either of these can be used as substitutes if you agree that I need a new temperature controller? I can do some adapting. I have a soldering iron and a band saw and am reasonably handy if I have to modify something.
Thank you very much.
Paul
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

I would check the temp control, it should be able to jump it, however is the fan running inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no fan inside the freezer, just a second cooling plate. I was trying to avoid jumping the temperature control because of difficult access but will do so if that is the next best step. I have added two photos - one of the freezer and one of the refrigerator. Thank you for helping me.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I have not seen one of these in over 20 years, let me check something

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

This is an old system, an old R12 system, why do you want to put any money into this old unit? Short of shorting the thermostat out and seeing if it brings the temps down, there is not much you can do, GEMCO use to make a universal tstat for this problem, I do not think they make one now for this type of problem...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Tips are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I noticed that the question is still open, if there is nothing else you need, please rate my service to you today, so I may be credited with helping you...