Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have A GE PROFILE ARTICA REFRIGERATOR MODEL

Customer Question

Customer: i have A GE PROFILE ARTICA REFRIGERATOR MODEL PSC23NHN/PSC23SHN, Tthe temp is flutuating and I can't reset it what to do
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the Freezer is not freezing and the frig is not cool. I tried to fixed it but at this time the the temp for the frrezer is at 49 and the frig at 66 i hold the set up botton change the temp and it won't work
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i will wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't see any frost

OK that's a problem. Pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back panel behind the refrigerator. Is the fan next to the big black round compressor running? And if you touch the compressor is it warm, blazing hot, or room temperature?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have already paid $ 23 and you have not answered my question

I realize that.... that's because I need more information. I'm not sure why you are saying that? All I asked was:

QUOTE:

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess another message pop up saying that I can talk to you for $18 that is why . I am sorry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am just trying to adjust the temp for both the freezer and frig

sorry, sorry about those messages they are just automated options that pop up if you wanted to speak by phone instead. Anyways, if you can just do the additional check that I inquired about before we can begin to track down the problem. Pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back panel behind the refrigerator. Is the fan next to the big black round compressor running? And if you touch the compressor is it warm, blazing hot, or room temperature?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Room temp

OK and is the fan next to the compressor running?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can't say I don't even see the compressor. My panel is at the bottom of my frig and all I scan are the plug for the water and electricity

You'd have to pull the refrigerator forward so you can remove the lower back access panel. These are your possibilities.

1. If the compressor is room temperature and the fan is running, the control board has a shorted relay which commonly happens on these refrigerator and it would need to be replaced. It's located behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel behind the refrigerator about half way up the back. Below is a link to the control board you'd need to order for your model number.

CLICK HERE for control board

2. The other option is that you have a bad compressor or a freon leak. If your compressor is warm/hot then this is not something you can fix and to call a technician out to repair the issue would be about $650 if it's a bad compressor or $450 if it's a freon leak.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well I guess Ian going to have to call someone to fix since the problem remains the same. Thx
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just lost my money

I'm not sure what you mean. You now know the possibilities and what needs to be done to fix the problem. I can't control what fails on your appliance, all I can do is inform you of what is wrong and what needs to be done which is what I have done.