John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Counter top Convection oven does not heat. Cadco model

Customer Question

Counter top Convection oven does not heat. Cadco model xaf003. Installed new heating element. Still does not heat. Fan working.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK copy and paste the following link into your browser and then come back to me - http://www.whaleyfoodservice.com/EquipmentManualsIntegration/Manuals/CDC0294.pdf

It would be useful if you had some form of tester to check for continuity and voltage but not initially essential.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I printed out the schematic of oven layout and parts list. Now what?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

Have you got continuity through item 26 which is a thermal cut-out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you talking about the reset switch .... yes it works. I can push in the little button and it stays in. Does Item 26 "reset" go bad? How does reset button keep oven from heating? When oven kicks off and will not come back on ..... I push in the reset button. This does not happen very often. Does Item 25 Thermostat go bad and keep oven from heating? Fan running but heating element will not even get warm. I do not have a volt testing meter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I install a new circular heating element. red wire to top top white wire to bottom post and yellow wires to center post.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK do you have any means of checking if you have a voltage at the heating element ie a mains tester with two probes or a multimeter. The reset switch is there to prevent the oven overheating, if the temperature gets too high it cuts the power to the heater. If this is happening alot it usually means that the thermostat is faulty. We need to establish if you have power at the heater and if not (which you suggest) work back from there to where you do have some.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say "power to heater" do you mean power to the unit (green light comes on when you turn on knob and turn timer knob on). Fan is running. Have not had to use the "reset" button. I guess you are saying it appears the HEATING ELEMENT has no power.... correct.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

What we need to check is - if the heating element has power, if not then we follow the power cables back to the thermostat, if you have a light on (when the thermostat is turned on and timer on time) that indicates generally that power is on up to that point. But its a case of checking from the heater element back to the controls, somewhere there will be a break in power supply which could be the timer, the thermostat, the cut out or even a faulty new element.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I carefully re-read your last response and you did say power to heater (element). Do not know if heating element has power. Guess it does not because heating element does not even get warm. Item 28 (located adjacent to reset button) has bunch wires connected to it. Guess I need to get a voltage tester. How much does a simple voltage tester cost? Would Auto Shack have one? Also, we have four of these convection ovens. I removed the heating element that was not heating from the unit ...... I installed the removed heating element in another oven .... the heating element got red. So I am certain the new heating element is not faulty. Will shop for a voltage tester or meter.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK you should be able to get one for around $10 or less, dont be going out and spending big money you dont need one that in of engineer quality just one that gives you fairly accurate readings, make sure it has a buzzer or beeper as well as being able to measure AC voltages.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, I remember having a pocket digital multimeter and have found it. I am home but when I get to ofc I will check the leads attached to heating element. Have a dumb question bout the voltage meter I have. I set the switch to ACV .... correct? The pocket meter has five selections DVC ACV CHECK K(with upside down "u" symbol) and a "cont" (with bull horn) selection. Man when this is over I will be a "first grade" electrician (g)
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

lol - yes you sure will, we only need the ACV set at 250V and the cont (continuity) - drop me a note when you are back at the office.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK but may be tonight when I get back to you. going to start at the connections to heating element and work back (as you suggested). Do you have a email address I could contact you at?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

Yes - dales.electronic(at)btopenworld.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks ... have a good day. ending chat.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK speak to you later