Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I need to remove a drom paddle from a gcvh6800j1ww front

Customer Question

I need to remove a drom paddle from a gcvh6800j1ww front load washing machine and can not figure out how to release the one in the drum. I have a credit card stuck under the paddle .
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Alright so there is actually a screw coming in from the outside of the inner stainless steel basket that holds the arm on. There is a hose at the top of the tub you can remove to access this screws, then the paddle will pull forward and out. Below is a video that shows you how to do it on a Whirlpool washer, but don't be confused. The parts may look slightly different but GE uses a Whirlpool style front load washer so the process is the same.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tyler,I understand that your qualifications and experience. it was obvious that you relied on just that when you posted your answer to me. I reviewed the video link that you sent. I disassembled the hose from the detergent basket and found that there were no screws, thus proceeding as described. You clearly stated " The parts may look slightly different but GE uses a Whirlpool style front load washer so the process is the same.".When I removed the paddles, I found that they were indeed held in by a screw but the screw location was farther rearward. Actually it is just in front of the joint / seal between the front and rear half of the outer drum. I confirm this because i was able to find a part number in the mold paddle that i removed (note it was all 3) and found the repair kit in a parts catalog. http://www.partselect.ca/Models/GCVH6800J5WW/Parts/PS1017020-GE-WH16X10079-Baffle-Assembly.htm?SourceCode=20&SearchTerm=GCVH6800J5WW&ModelNum=GCVH6800J5WW&fSearchTerm=TUB-AND-MOTOR&ModelID=1921813&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=2&Selected=00136981i04&Position=4&mfg=GE&Type=Washer&Mark=4.This includes the seal for the outer drum halves.based on the speed of your response, I can only believe that you relied on your experience and spent no time actually looking at a repair or parts manual prior to offering your answer. The result was me needing to come out of pocket another $70.00 to replace the parts that were damaged by following the instructions in the video.I am not at all pleased - The just answer fee equates to about 30 minutes of repair time based on local rates. had additional time been spent on research my parts would not have been destroyed. .