John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My name is ***** *****. Our kenmore elite oasis dryer was

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. Our kenmore elite oasis dryer was working, just not heating. We got a themal fuse and the thermostat that goes with it and replaced it and now it won't turn, but there's power to it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The model # ***** ***** The dryer was spinning, but not heating. We figured out that the vent was almost totally plugged, so the fuse must have gone. We cleaned the vent took everything apart cleaned it all out, replaced the fuse and thermostat (we got a "thermal fuse kit"). We've put it all back together and now it won't spin.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

If the thermal fuse was bad the dryer would not tumble.

have you taken the unit back apart to make sure all of the wiring is on correctly?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, it was tumbling before we replaced it, so does that mean it wasn't a bad thermal fuse? I read that sometimes the dryer would stop tumbling, but sometimes it just wouldn't heat, but would still tumble.We double checked the wiring before we put it back together. That thing is a beast to take apart.

Yes you are correct the original issue of tumbling and no heating was NOT a thermal fuse issue

On gas dryers it will still tumble with a bad thermal fuse ,but not on electric heat dryers the thermal fuse kills the entire dryer .

if all you did was put in a thermal fuse make sure the wiring in on the thermal fuse and that the wiring is back on the door switch correctly both of those will stop the dryer from running/ tumbling.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
okay, we'll re-check those connections. It's an electric dryer though, so what would be the original reason it was not heating, but still tumbling?

In the heater circuit you have the heater relay on the control board , Two thermostat ,the heating element and a switch on the drive motor itself.

Do you have a Volt-ohm meter and know how to use it to be able to do any component or voltage testing on the unit?

Do you still need assistance on your question?