Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Samsung ice maker is making a constant knocking sound

Customer Question

Customer: My Samsung ice maker is making a constant knocking sound
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it's acting as if the ice cube tray is trying to rotate to dispense ice, but it gets stuck partway thru the cycle and knocks constantly the ice ray fills with water, it freezes, then as it rotates it gets stuck and just knocks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

This knocking means that there is either ice jamming the icemaker form rotating, or the gears are stripping out on the icemaker and the icemaker will need to be replaced. Use a hair dryer and thaw out the icemaker completely. If the noise comes back there is nothing you can do but replace the icemaker to resolve the issue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.