Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

My whirlpool (WTW4850XQ0) washer sounds like its continuing

Customer Question

Hi, My whirlpool (WTW4850XQ0) washer sounds like its continuing to try to drain (appears to be drained, at least the tub is empty but there is still water below) and will not spin. Also makes banging noise like the tub is hitting the side wall. I tipped the unit back and inspected the splutch which appears to be OK without taking apart. The agitator seems to work fine. In fact the wash and rinse cycles seem to be fine it just acts up when it goes to spin. This has been intermittent and has been growing worse. I keep resetting on drain and spin and after ten times it will work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Joel thank you for your interest in our service. If you have been waiting a while
I apologize as I try to help as many customers as possible in a timely manner. I am now
available to help you with your question. Give me just a minute and I will be right with you working on your answer now. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks

Ok, so the tub banging when it spins is a different issue from the water draining issue, you have two issues that need to be repaired,

1. That unit does not have a pump trap filter so what happens is trash and debris etc get into the pump impeller over time and essentially messes up the impeller until finally the pump will not drain properly as it is doing now. replace the pump and the washer will drain correctly.

2. Make sure the washer is level and that the loads are balanced in the tub, if you still have issues with the tub banging then you will need to replace the suspension rods on the machine.

Washer Suspension Rod Kit

Part #: W10110314 - click here

Washer Drain Pump Assembly

Part #: W10276397

PLEASE take into consideration we are on the honor system for our time, I Kindly ask you to rate my service BEFORE YOU LEAVE TODAY by clicking 3 or better on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page or wherever the 5 star rating system is located on your page (sometimes it's hard to find but it's there).

Also be aware that this rating is for the quality of my response, not a rating for the overall experience you have had on this site.

Rating me will not in any way affect the amount you agreed to pay for the question. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

Before leaving a negative rating please discuss it with me first so I can have a chance to remedy the issue. Thank You!

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK but did you see that the tub does drain but there is just a bit of water left in the bottom (under the tub). I know this becouse when I tipped the machine on its back about a quart of water seeped out. Can you tell me if this is normal before I go into replacing anything? The REAL issue is that the unit does not spin most of the time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I meant that there is water under the basket

The unit does not spin because the washer is not draining the water properly if the water is not completely drained in the time allotted by the computer the computer will not allow the washer to spin, it's not draining fast enough because the pump impeller is bad inside the pump so it's not pulling the water fast enough even though it may be draining the washer. This is very common replace the pump and it will fix the problem.

do you need pump replacement instructions?

You can take the pump off and look at the impeller its magnitized so the when you flip the impeller on the pump it should be tight and have a little pop to it, and it should not be rocking side to side. If the impeller looks ok and the water seems to be draining fast enough out of the machine and its still not spinning properly then the part that needs to be changed will be the actuator, that component shifts the transmission from wash to spin and also has the hall sensor that senses movement in the spin mode.

Washer Actuator

Part #: W10006355

its located underneath the machine it's brown held in by two green phillips head screws, you will need to remove the plastic belt cover to install a new one.

please don't forget to give me a rating before leaving today, thanks. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so after you wrote this:
I immediately purchased a new pump. As you said quite emphatically "it will fix the problem". Then I took out the old pump and upon doing my own inspection and disassembly found it quite new looking and everything seeming perfect. So I came back to tell you this and then I see your later comments that suggest I inspect the pump. I really wish you would have mentioned this in your earlier post, as it would have saved me some time and frustration. So now I'm thinking it is the actuator. Is there any way to test this before buying a new one?

follow test 3A on page 13 to check the actuator:

tech data - click here to open