Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My whirlpool oven model # WFG510S0AS 1 has gas flow (I can

Customer Question

My whirlpool oven model # ***** 1 has gas flow (I can smell it) and a new igniter but it won't start. (The broiler works fine). What can I do to figure it out? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

So first, make sure the spark igniter is positioned properly. Remove the floor inside the oven and watch the spark when you turn the oven on to bake. The spark should spark right at the end of the igniter tip and it should spark just above one of the holes on the bake burner. If that all checks good, then your gas valve is just not releasing enough gas to ignite and the gas valve would need to be replaced. The other option is that you're not getting a spark at all in which case you could have a bad wire where the spark it jumping out the wire before it gets to the igniter. That's difficult to track down but if the wire looks good and isn't sparking out early, then you would need a new spark module.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.