Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a Kitchenaid refrigerator that is 14 months old with

Customer Question

I have a Kitchenaid refrigerator that is 14 months old with French style doors. The vertical hinged seal (mullion?) seems to have lost its tension to close the door tightly. It made a few unusual "popping noises" when closing a couple of days ago, but now closes... the hinge seems to rotate into the Teflon block at the top ok, but slowly and no "snap" in the closing as it used to... thus not pulling door tight or sealing. Any help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

I suspect that the spring in the mullion flipper has broken and will need to have entire flipper replaced.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Trim-Piece/12722803W/1472778?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I ordered the flipper part and replaced it without a problem, however this did not solve the problem. The left door still does not pull completely shut. Any other ideas? I have over a hundred bucks into this now and need to send the part back to the supplier for a partial refund. Please advise. Thanks. Tom.

ok does the flipper line up with both top pivot plate to flip the left door closed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Both the one year old flipper and the new one appear to line up fine and I had no binding during installation. Slid right into place and connected the electrical connection without problem. No difference in closing... the top part of flipper slides into the guide at the top however does not pull (or suck) the door tightly shut... about an 1/8" gap and is not blocked... I can push it shut, but simply releases back out the same distance making a poor seal. When I shut the right door, it shuts tightly (pulling the left door in to seal), but immediately the air pushed out causes the left door to push out again. I then push the left door in to try to seal, which is better, but cold air still leaking. Being an engineer myself, I thought the flipper bar was the answer as well... but not solving the problem... left door is not closing or sealing like it did a week ago. Help???

if you open the fresh food door look at the gasket to see if it is wrinkled on the hinge side.

And then just close the left door does it then seem to go closed and stay closed?

And you made sure that the springs had tension on them correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Gaskets around both doors are smooth, clean and un-impinged. Also confirmed there is no obstruction with drawers or ingredients being stored in the refrigerator or on the door. You asked about tension on the springs... what springs and how to I confirm tension on them?

the two bracket that slid into the grooves on the door should be spring loaded .

And did you just close the left door leaving the right one open ,will the left door the go fully closed and stay closed?