Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a GE Microwave model JVM2070SK02 that I'm trying to

Customer Question

We have a GE Microwave model JVM2070SK02 that I'm trying to replace the handle on. The inner plastic part of the grip cracked and broke on ours. It's not visible so not a big deal (I put some gaffers tape over the exposed edge to protect our fingers from the sharp plastic edges), but we got lucky and found a new handle cheaply so we'd like to go ahead and replace it since we have the part. The handle part # ***** ***** Can't figure out how to remove the old handle though! Is there a way to swap the handles without removing the door? I don't see any exposed screws so it looks like the inner panel of the door needs to come off, but I'm afraid if I start prying those clips open it won't go back together properly and then I'll end up breaking something much worse than a handle :(
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So replacing the handle is actually quite difficult because the door must be taken apart. Below is a video that shows you how to take the door apart on a Whirlpool microwave, but don't be confused by the brand---your GE comes apart the same way. The microwave in the video has been taken apart many times so the parts unclip quite easily but I assure you that you will struggle a bit more than the video shows since your door has never been taken apart before and the clips still hold really tight. Once the door is taken apart, you can remove the screws coming from the inside holding the handle in place so that you can swap the handle out which is not in the video but very straight forward.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?