Ezekiel
Ezekiel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Repair Expert
91962359

Barb. Initially the water dispenser stopped working... than

Customer Question

Customer: Barb. Initially the water dispenser stopped working... than refrig side started freezing everything. After some research, I emptied the freezer side, took lower back panel off & found large chunk of ice. I used hair dryer & melted that......felt real proud & put all back together. Did not fix my problem. Now while hubby sleeps & have once again emptied freezer & checked lower panel.....zero ice.... am giving thought to removing top back panel, but if I find no ice, I really don't know what to do after I "look".
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Other than what I sent above.... I have all settings on factory recs & have removed section of ice behind back panel, but still no ice or water dispensing & frig side is literally working as effectively as the freezer. LOL all is frozen solid.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: certainly.... I can leave page up & go for snack. When should I check back approx?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 10 months ago.

Hello what brand is this refrigerator please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1) Refrig is a Frigidaire side by side, 2) I am kind of surprised at the email advising "confirmation" that charges had been added to my credit card already since the earlier indicated I would not be charged until I received an answer to my question (you only pay if satisfied) and that "charges generally around $18 .....less if you're not in a rush" & I agreed to wait. 3) I don't remember being charged in the past until I had received response to my actual question. 4) If there is to be an additional charge for response to my actual question......after you receive refrigerator brand.....than just don't bother to respond since these back & forth chats could soon add up to the equivalent of a physical service call (in this area). If there is to be no additional charges for your response, I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 10 months ago.

Hello there is not going to be any additional charges other than what you were quoted Barb. What setting do you have the fridge and freezer on,also are things in tbe freezer staying frozen and things in the fridge side cold

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had the settings on manuf recs & then tried making the refrigerator side less cold, but was not effective. Both sides, freezer & refrig, are freezing...refrigerator side is not keeping things just cold.....it is freezing all liquids, meats, i.e., solid. As I previously stated, I initially took the back panel, on freezer side out, & found an area, as large as average person's hand, encased in ice. I melted this with hair dryer and restarted all on manuf settings........still zero ice or water from dispensers in the door & frig side is still freezing all items. I removed lower portion, back of freezer side, last night & confirmed there was no further ice build up...but overall status remains the same. No ice, no water, & frig side freezing all items.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 10 months ago.

Ok Barb that tells me the fridge has a control board failure temp not regulating regardless of settings and the damper control is not opening and closing to regulate air flow. If i can get a model number i can get you price and availability Barb

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 10 months ago.

Also please rate me on my response as to what the resolve is of your issue thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. Info seems on target with the problem. However, when I research the part "control board" there appear to be many options.....from less expensive to more expensive, i.e., damper related, entire control board, thermostat controls, diffusers etc. Can you please elaborate on "which part of the control board" that my problem appears to be stemming from? In response to your earlier question, the model # ***** *****
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 10 months ago.

Hi ok let me get some info

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 10 months ago.

Im referring to the damper assembly that controls the temp on both sides

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 10 months ago.

Also at the end of the model numer there should be a b0 b1