Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

A question concerning my 2009 GE Top Loading washing

Customer Question

Hello. A question concerning my 2009 GE Top Loading washing machine. Our washing machine spits out some crazy looking debris from time to time (like every couple of months) which we only see after a load of laundry is done(it shows up mixed in with the clothes). I usually just lean it out and rewash the clothes. It just happened and it's more than ever. It does not come from our clothes so I'm imagining it comes from Inside the washer. It looks organic, almost like crushed leaves. Could it be mildew or dirt built up under the drum? It also sounds like there is still water sloshing underneath when the drum is empty. Could there be years old moldy water under there? I just ran it through and sanitized it with vinegar and baking soda. What to do?! Help! I'm grossed out and worried. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! What you are seeing actually has an official name...scrudding. It is residue of detergent, minerals and dirt that accumulates above the water level line on the inside of the outer tub.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MOD WJSR4160G2WW
SER AS109672G
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! Number 317 in the diagram at the link below is the outer tub. At the top, that "gunk" cakes onto the tub (on the inside) and water does not fill up to the top, so it dries there and will start to flake off. Often times, it looks like flat pieces of lint caked water scale. The washer will need to be disassembled to clean it totally out. However, you can run some water and then once it stops filling, add another gallon or two so the water rises above the high mark and then a gallon of white distilled vinegar. Allow that to soak over night and then drain it out the next morning and run a hot wash load (no clothes during this process) and it will help a great deal until it can be taken apart and cleaned out.

CLICK HERE