Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I tried to self clean my oven and the cycle did not start

Customer Question

I tried to self clean my oven and the cycle did not start and the lock is engaged and cannot be unlocked or cleared. I have pulled the oven out and unplugged it hoping to reset the controls which did not work. Please advise!
Thanks,
Michele
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

This should actually be a fairly easy issue to fix. When the door gets locked open, you just need to trick the door into thinking that it's shut. So open the door and locate the door/light switch around the frame of the oven. Push the door switch in and hold it so that the oven thinks the door is shut. Now just start a self clean cycle and wait 60 seconds. Then cancel the self clean cycle and the door lock should open. At that point you can let go of the light switch and the oven should work normally.

The other option is to flip the circuit breaker off to the oven or unplug the oven. Tape the door switch in. Then plug the unit back in and the latch should unlock when power is re-applied.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.