Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a GE Top Loader Washer MOD WJRE5500G1WW. If I put in

Customer Question

Hi, I have a GE Top Loader Washer MOD WJRE5500G1WW. If I put in more than a few items it does not agitate, it makes a rasping sound during the agitate time. If there is a very light load it agitates just fine. I can't figure which part I need to replace.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

Have you checked the belt to see if it loose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chas, I did, I actually replaced the motor about a year ago too. Everything looks to be fine. I also pulled the blade out and the dogs on it are ok too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It really sounds like splines slipping on a shaft.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Does it spin okay and just not agitate properly when loaded heavely?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep that is correct. If I put in 1 towel is functions perfectly if I put in 3 towels it rasps instead of agitating but all other functions work perfectly, it spins perfectly no matter whether the load is heavy or light
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

You will need to replace the drive block, 10 minute job, just yank off the agitator and replace the part.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Click here

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Tips are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I thought and I already changed that - the old one looked OK but I put in the new one anyhow. I pulled the agitator off again this evening and again it looked fine. I notice If I put a spanner on the nut on top of the coupler and rotate it back and forward there is about 10 degrees of play before something down below that "catches" and the motor starts to turn. If I do that - turn the couple clockwise and anti clockwise with a spanner on the bolt the sound it makes as it "connects"
with the motor is very similar to the rasping sound. Its more like a metallic than plastic sound, I am going to try attaching a recording so you can hear it.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I am not in the office anymore tonight, can I work on this tomorrow morning and get back to you.. I remember something from GE about something similar but I don't have access to it tonight..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries, it's been baffling me since just before Christmas, works fine with small loads so we've been putting up with it but the wife is piling on the pressure now to get it fixed or replaced!!!
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I will work on the problem in the morning, should have an answer by noon EST

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any joy with this Chas?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I left a message with GE yesterday, have not heard back yet. will try again later today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK no problem
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Still have not heard from them. I will try again today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No prob. Thank you
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I finally heard back, you have a bad mode shifter, it will need to be replaced.

click here

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I noticed that the question is still open, if there is nothing else you need, please rate my service to you today, so I may be credited with helping you...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a shifter only no shaft - for $50 - would that be enough?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004H3XV7K
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't trust it if they gave that to me.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chas, Sorry for the delay, I had to order a spanner for the hub nut. I replaced the shaft and seal this morning but the issue remains. It's make the same sound and not agitating under load. Check out my new video.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW I did purchase a brand new shaft but I was thinking I might try contacting the guy that was selling the used shaft, he might have been through the same experience and might know the solution. Could it be a voltage issue, maybe not triggering a solenoid tightly enough?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh - it's some appliance supplier selling the used one, I can't really contact them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts on this Chas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chas, I guess if you don't reply today I will have to assume you abandoned me :-(
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry it took me this long to get back to you, we have been without internet service since Saturday when the blizzard came through. Let me look where we are at and I will get back to you in a few.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Is the pulley spinning when it is under load?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries - keep warm up there. I may not get a chance to check that until Sunday - I'll let you know then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I managed to get to it this evening, here's the weird thing, the first agitate cycle was perfect - no rasping, then I believe it emptied and filled and the second agitation had the rasping. Video attached.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I just ran another load and I can confirm the first agitation is perfect, it empties, it fills and the second agitation is where the noise starts.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

First agitation is fine and the second one in rinse is making all this noise? Never heard of such a thing...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chas, I did another load this morning, watched it carefully and I can confirm the first agitation cycle is good and the second is rasping and not agitating. Can you ask again at GE and see what their techs think?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I can, but this really has me confused, how it can agitate properly in the beginning and not on the rinse.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just an observation - I notice in the first agitating cycle (video attached) when it is working normally, the black outer shaft on the clutch unit does not rotate, it rocks slightly clockwise and anti-clockwise, but in the second agitation I notice at lot of rotation of that black outer shaft. You can see it in an earlier video I sent. Maybe it means nothing but it's the only visual difference I can see.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I will check it out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ahh - I just loaded it again with only 3 towels and its rasping on the first cycle this time!! I have the cover on so I cant see if the black shaft is rotating.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any word on this Chas?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Have you ohmed out the new shifter to see if it is okay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well to get to it I have ta lot of work each time (my washing machine is not accessible, it's in a corner.
So I tested the old one which is 94. What is it supposed to be.?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Also did you install a new agitator drive hub when you put in the new shifter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is what I replaced
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

That is the mode shifter, This is the agitator drive or bell

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was the first thing I changed even though the old one looked perfect
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I watched the video, the shaft is agitating so the agitator has to move unless the drive block is slipping on the shaft.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does move back and forward a little but it's with no force and listen to the noise it's making?Maybe Ill just get a new machine.This is into the 3rd month now. I just hate giving up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the best make in your opinion?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Best on the market is the LG and Samsung washers with direct drive systems. I prefer front loading to top loading also. The noise is hard to distinguish for me as I am 80% deaf in both ears, I usually go by feel to tell if something is not right..