Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an older Maytag Performa coil electric range. Even

Customer Question

I have an older Maytag Performa coil electric range. Even when everyting is turned off the red on indicator light stays on. Is there any soliution and is he range safe to operate?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

So yes, the oven is safe as long as nothing is heating even though the light is on, but it means that one of your burner switch contacts has failed. Since all of the burners share the same indicator light, any of the switches can cause this problem. The best way to determine which switch is faulty is to unplug the oven and disconnect all the wires to one of the switches. Plug the oven back in and if the light is still on, unplug the oven, reconnect all the wires, and then unplug all the wires on the next switch. Continue to do this until you find the faulty switch, then replace that switch.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. In other words, this is a job for a professional, Can I use the burners in the mean time or do I risk a fire?

Aye. In the mean time the stuck light contact won't affect the operation of the range, but again do make sure it's not actually heating when you have everything turned off and the light is on. If it's heating when everything is turned off, then the switch has just failed completely which means it needs to be replaced and the breaker needs to remain off until the switch is replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's great! Thank you so much. I was mainly worried about a fire hazard. Will probably buy a new range but was very concerned about any fire hazards. Would recommend you to my friends.

No problem and I wish you only the best. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.