Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have a LG French door refrigerator bought in 2010. The

Customer Question

I have a LG French door refrigerator bought in 2010. The compressor broke in September of 2015 and was replaced in October 2015. Subsequently we experienced frequent thawing in both our freezer and refrigerator. We were told by an independent repair service that our compressor was functioning at the low end and that it did not have a stryker valve to check how the compressor was working. Subsequently, we replaced the freezer control panel because it had arced; the freezer sensor and the main control board all at the suggestion of the LG technicians. We still have a malfunctioning freezer and no ice maker. Monitoring for four days showed that the defrost cycle was prolonged for over 16 hours. Our warranty dealer will not let us break the seal of the compressor to determine if the compressor is compromising the overall function of the refrigerator. Any suggestions of what to do at this point.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 months ago.

It sounds to me like whoever did the compressor install did not do the job properly, there are many things that could go wrong when installing a compressor, everything must be done perfectly for the compressor to perform properly, if moisture was introduced to the system at the time of the compressor install and it was not evacuated properly this could hinder the flow of freon, if the unit was not charged properly it could not have enough freon or too much freon, my guess is that the warranty service that did the installation does not want anyone having a look at the pressures on the unit because they know it was a botched job in the first place, there is nothing to installing a bullet piercing valve and putting a set of gauges on the system to check the pressures on the system, any reputable company could do this is no time and you would know for sure what was going on. Although using a piercing valve is not really recommended as it could produce a leak later on, but at least you would know for a fact what the issue was. My suggestion is for you to call around to find another company in your area that does warranty work for LG and have them come out and repair the system properly. There are usually several companies in any given area that do warranty work for LG such as sears. Just call around to all the local appliance repair companies and ask them if they do warranty for LG and once you find one have them come out, they can submit the claim to LG themselves, there is no need to bound by to one company for your LG service.

PLEASE take into consideration we are on the honor system for our time, I Kindly ask you to rate my service BEFORE YOU LEAVE TODAY by clicking 3 or better on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page or wherever the 5 star rating system is located on your page (sometimes it's hard to find but it's there).

Also be aware that this rating is for the quality of my response, not a rating for the overall experience you have had on this site.

Rating me will not in any way affect the amount you agreed to pay for the question. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

Before leaving a negative rating please discuss it with me first so I can have a chance to remedy the issue. Thank You!

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I see this question is still open, If there is nothing else I can do for you concerning this

issue would you please rate my service by choosing a star at the top of the page so that I

can put this question on my completed list. I took the time to help you please take the time to help me. Thank You so much for your understanding and support! If you feel there is a reason you should not give me a rating please let me know, otherwise please go ahead and do that for me Thanks.

Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 10 months ago.