Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

We purchased a double oven Kenmore elite approximately one

Customer Question

Hello, we purchased a double oven Kenmore elite approximately one year ago. I used the self cleaning for both the top and bottom last week. Bottom came out perfect. The top oven had a lot of smoke and when I opened the door, the entire inside was covered in a powdery white substance that adhered to the walls, racks. When I tried to remove thick distance the protective coating of the oven comes off, very dull, tried another self clean and smoke was so bad fire alarm went off. When I Googled my problem I was surprised at the number of people that had similar experiences. Please tell me what is going on. We have always purchased Sears products through the years and never had a problem such as this.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

This was made by LG and actually there was an issue with the oven coating process and basically the smoke and everything was due to the oven coating burning. You can try to contact who you bought it from to see if they will get you a new one as there is really no fixing that issue as the oven cavity coating can not be repaired.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Inquiry re sears kenmore elite double self cleaning oven. I stated I cleaned the oven&top oven was left w thick white powdery substance when removed seemed to take off protective coating&during the cleaning process the oven became smoky&set of off fire alarm.You indicated the oven was made by LG & "everything was basically due to the oven coat burning" Pls provide me w/ref. inf. that supports your opinion.(search of Web others had same prob) Sears told me I had a fire&put it out w/extinguisher.

Sears does not make anything they sell, that is made by LG for sears, they had issues with the coating inside the ovens. There have been numerous complaints about it but they have not done any formal recalls. Sears will likely not be of much help

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there any Web site, consumer report reviews, etc. that you can refer me to please?. We have purchased Sears products forever and their warranties. I could not believe that they actually accused me of lying and wrote on the service notice "customer had fire in upper oven and tried to put it out with fire extinguisher". The technician said he had never seen anything like it before and he had been a sears technician for 15+ years. Please let me know how you are aware of this issue. Regards, Katherine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Even if the is nothing formal if there is any reference to such an issue/complaint I would appreciate having knowledge. Thank you

Also I checked closely your particular series was made by Electrolux for Sears, same issues as these are all made overseas.

CLICK HERE