Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Fuehrer I own a GE profile oven model pb920S p2ss and it

Customer Question

Customer: Tim Fuehrer I own a GE profile oven model pb920S p2ss and it keeps shutting off when we try to use the oven. We set the temp, the oven starts to warm up and then it shuts off (clock is all that is on). we keep repeating this over and over and it will eventually gets to temp. But it may or may not still shut off. When we first bought the oven it did the same thing and GE came out and did the repair (they did NOT replace the control board!). Things were working fine after, and then we had a new floor installed and they moved the oven to install the floor and ever since they put it back it has been doing this. I'm not sure what was done to correct this the first time, but the issue sure seems to be the same. What can you tell me to look for, I can replace components on my own.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I own a GE profile oven model pb920S p2ss and it keeps shutting off when we try to use the oven. We set the temp, the oven starts to warm up and then it shuts off (clock is all that is on). we keep repeating this over and over and it will eventually gets to temp. But it may or may not still shut off. When we first bought the oven it did the same thing and GE came out and did the repair (they did NOT replace the control board!). Things were working fine after, and then we had a new floor installed and they moved the oven to install the floor and ever since they put it back it has been doing this. I'm not sure what was done to correct this the first time, but the issue sure seems to be the same. What can you tell me to look for, I can replace components on my own.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So this is a common way for display boards on these GE ovens to fail I'm sorry to say. The problem is the the logic inside the board is corrupt so it eventually just shuts the program down and the oven reverts back to just showing the time of day. You can keep trying over and over and sometimes it'll work but you'd need to replace the display board to resolve the issue. Possibly the jostling of the oven when being moved caused the board to vibrate enough to cause the problem but either way, the display board would need to be replaced to resolve the issue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.